One of my all-time favourite songs – from 1972, The Raspberries’, Go All the Way.
the raspberries fax
- Formed in Ohio in 1970, The Raspberries drew their inspiration from the UK power pop bands of the late 60s citing The Beatles, The Who, The Hollies, and Small Faces as their major influences.
- Known for a clean-cut public image, The Raspberries were considered uncool and a teenybopper band by many within the music media.
- Despite that, a number of artists have stated that they have been greatly influenced by the band’s tight musicianship and harmonies. Artists include: Bruce Springsteen; Springsteen’s drummer Max Weinberg said he based his drum style off The Raspberries drummer Michael McBride; Paul Stanley of Kiss, Tom Petty, and Axl Rose of Guns n’ Roses, have all cited the Raspberries as an influence in their song writing.
- The band’s most successful line-up consisted of Eric Carmen (vocalist/guitarist/bassist), Wally Bryson (guitarist), Jim Bonfanti (drummer), and Dave Smalley (guitarist/bassist).
- The Raspberries released four albums in just three years between 1972 and 1974; and ten singles, though only one (Go All The Way) broke into the US top ten.
- The Raspberries broke up in 1975 – Eric going on to forge a successful career as a solo artist.
- In 1999, the band’s name was resurrected by Wally and Dave and released an album.
- Then, in 2004, the original line-up reunited for a well-received 2005 reunion tour.
go all the way fax
- Go All the Way, released in July 1972, was written by band leader Eric Carmen.
- Go All the Way peaked at #5 on the US charts.
- The song sold more than 1.3 million copies – their biggest seller – and gained the band their first gold record.
- The BBC banned Go All the Way because of its sexually suggestive lyrics.
- The repeat of the words “come on”, in the bridge, is loosely based on the “come on’s” featuring in The Beatles hit Please Please Me.
- In July 2006, Blender magazine listed Go All the Way as one of its Greatest Songs Ever.
- Go All the Way has featured in three movies: Almost Famous (2000), Dark Shadows (2012), sung by The Killers, and Guardians of the Galaxy (2014).
- Matthew Sweet and Bangles member Susanna Hoffs sing Go All the Way on their 2009 collaboration Under the Covers, Vol. 2.
- Go All the Way lyrics.
go all the way – the raspberries – 1972 – video
follow seventiesmusic on facebook.