judy collins fax
- Judy Collins was born in Seattle, Washington, USA, daughter of a blind singer, pianist and radio host who fostered her love of music.
- The music of Woody Guthrie and Pete Seeger gave Judy a love of folk music and lyrics; although she is known for her rather eclectic styles of material, including folk, show tunes, pop, rock and roll, and classic standards).
- Judy’s first album, A Maid of Constant Sorrow, was released in 1961. She found fame, however, with Joni Mitchell’s Both Sides Now, from Judy’s 1967 album, Wildflowers.
- Both Sides Now won a Grammy Award for Best Folk Performance.
- Judy earned another Grammy nomination (this time for Best Pop Vocal Performance, Female) for Send in the Clowns; released in 1975 and then again in 1977. The song spent 27 non-consecutive weeks on the US singles chart. In all, Judy was nominated for four Grammy’s.
- Judy was the subject of the Stephen Stills composition Suite: Judy Blue Eyes.
- Judy is also well-known for her work as a peace activist. She continues to perform.
send in the clowns fax
- Send in the Clowns was written by Stephen Sondheim, and comes from his 1973 musical A Little Night Music.
- Send in the Clowns is Stephen’s most popular song after Frank Sinatra recorded it in 1973. Judy Collins then recorded it for release in both 1975 and 1977. From Judy’s album, Judith, her version peaked at #36 on the US singles chart, and then at #19 two years later. The song sat on the charts for 11 weeks in 1975 and 16 weeks in 1977.
- A snippet of Send in the Clowns appears as part of the song The Electric Co. on U2’s Under A Blood Red Sky album. However, U2 failed to acquire the appropriate licensing for the song and paid no royalties. They were fined $US50,000 and removed the song clip from subsequent pressings of album
- Send in the Clowns lyrics.
send in the clowns – judy Collins – 1975 – video
Sometimes the YouTube links dropout – if this link doesn’t work, please go to YouTube and search for the song – it will be worth it!
follow seventiesmusic on facebook.