It may only have ever made it to #4 on the UK charts (and is not even known in the US) but Wizzard’s 1973 Christmas song, I Wish It Could be Christmas Every Day, is proof that, if you’re going to have one hit song, make it a Christmas one!
Yep, it’s that time of year again. I decided I’d share with you whatever was the first 70s Christmas song I heard this year. Of course it was Feliz Navidad. Couldn’t use that one, though—we did that last year.
So, here it is, the second Christmas song I heard on the radio this year… I confess, I’d almost forgotten it existed.
from orchestra to glam-rock
Wizzard were formed in Birmingham by Roy Wood, co-founder of Electric Light Orchestra (ELO). Roy had left ELO after continuing conflict with Jeff Lynne. When you consider the differences between Wizzard and ELO, you can understand why conflicts arose!
Wizzard went on to have three or four hit records including two UK #1’s; See My Baby Jive and Angel Fingers (A Teen Ballard).
The band were pretty short-lived; formed in 1972, split in 1975. Four hit records and two decent albums though – pretty good going for three years.
if you’re gonna write one song…
I reckon, if you’re going to write one hit song, make it a Christmas one because every year you get to sell more records.
Since 2007, I Wish It Could Be Christmas Every Day has made a little foray onto the charts without even making a physical appearance in the record stores thanks to digital downloads.
So, here’s how Roy and I Wish It Could Be Christmas Every Day have done in recent years:
- 2007, #16
- 2008, #31.
- 2009, # 45.
- 2010, # 46.
- 2011, # 28.
- 2012 #31.
i wish it could be Christmas every day fax
- I Wish It Could Be Christmas Every Day was recorded in August 1973 and released in time for Christmas that year.
- I Wish It Could Be Christmas Every Day peaked at #4 on the UK charts.
- Because I Wish It Could Be Christmas Every Day was recorded in August, the studio was decorated with Christmas decorations and the air conditioning turned down to its coldest setting. Roy wore a woollen hat.
- The backing vocals on the record are by The Suedettes, and the school choir from Stockland Green Bilateral School.
- I Wish It Could Be Christmas Every Day lyrics.
i wish it could be christmas every day – wizzard – 1973 – video
follow seventiesmusic on facebook.
You’ll find out when the latest blog is posted and every Monday you’ll get “This Week in 70s Music.” Click the Facebook logo to go to the seventiesmusic Facebook page and click “Like.”