Here’s one out of leftfield – comedians Cheech and Chong’s 1974 song, Earache My Eye, featured in their 1978 movie, Up In Smoke.
cheech and chong fax
- Richard “Cheech” Marin and Tommy Chong are a Grammy Award winning comedy duo. They were especially popular for their films and stand-up routines in the 1960 – 70s. They parted ways in 1985 but reunited in 2002 and continue to perform to this day.
- Chong is a Canadian (though he has since become an American citizen); Cheech moved to Canada in the 1960s to avoid the draft for the Vietnam War – it was in Canadian that the pair met and began working together.
- Alongside their stand-up routine, Cheech and Chong produced a number of comedy films, and released a number of novelty songs and albums – including 1985’s Born in East L.A., based on Bruce Springsteen’s, Born in the USA.
- Perhaps their best-known movie is Up in Smoke. Released in 1978, it has become a cult classic.
- Having parted company in 1985, the pair were guests on a 2011 episode of The Simpsons, and have joined for a number of projects since that time.
earache my eye fax
- Earache My Eye is a novelty heavy metal song written by Tommy Chong and Gaye Delorme and recorded by Cheech and Chong – Cheech adopting the persona of a fictitious rock star named Alice Bowie.
- The song appeared on Cheech and Chong’s fourth comedy album, Cheech and Chong’s Wedding Album (1974) and later appeared in their first movie, Up in Smoke (1978).
- Earache My Eye spent 13 weeks on the US singles chart.
- Earache My Eye has been covered by both Soundgarden and Korn (Cheech performing the vocals on the latter), and was sampled on Eminem’s track Untouchable.
- Earache My Eye lyrics.
earache my eye – cheech and chong -1974 – video
Sometimes the YouTube links dropout – if this link doesn’t work, please go to YouTube and search for the song – it will be worth it!
follow seventiesmusic on facebook.