I’ve often had this argument… I don’t know why many people insist that Blondie is a British band. Nope, American they are, through and through.
The band was founded by vocalist Deborah Harry and guitarist Chris Stein in the early 70s. They rode the peak of the late-70s New Wave scene – and this could be where the confusion has arisen. There is little doubt, while big in the US, Blondie were even bigger in the UK..
Blondie’s first two albums Blondie and Plastic Letters made little impression on the charts, although Denis, from the latter album, did hit #2 in the UK.
The 1978 release of their third album, Parallel Lines, changed everything. In just three years the band had four US #1’s (They hit #1 in the UK too):
- Heart of Glass
- Call Me
- The Tide is High
Sunday Girl and Atomic were also UK #1’s.
breaking up to make up
With six albums released Blondie broke up in 1982. Deborah Harry took a few years off to care for her partner Chris Stein, who was diagnosed with pemphigus, a rare autoimmune disease of the skin , before resuming her solo career.
Blondie reformed in 1997 and hit #1 in the UK in 1999 with their single Maria.
They’ve sold 40 million albums worldwide and, in 2006, they were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2006.
heart of glass controversy
On release of Heart of Glass, Blondie were accused of selling out. They were at the forefront of the American New Wave scene and the song was seen as being just a little bit disco – something the band agreed with often referring to it as “the disco song.”
heart of glass fax
- Heart of Glass was by Deborah Harry and Chris Stein.
- Heart of Glass is lifted from Blondie’s third album, Parallel Lines (1978). It was released as a single in January 1979. It was produced by Michael Chapman.
- Rolling Stone ranked Heart of Glass at #255 on its list of the 500 greatest songs of all time.
- Heart of Glass was originally called, Once I Had Love and was slower and funkier than the eventual version.
- Heart of Glass was re-recorded in 1981 and it’s that version that appears on Blondie’s 2002 Greatest Hits album.
- Heart of Glass has appeared in a number of movies including, Anger Management and Super 8. It was also played in the background of an episode of Glee.
- Heart of Glass has been sampled by a number of artists including: Diddy, Missy Elliott, and Celine Dion.
- Heart of Glass lyrics.
heart of glass – blondie -1979 – video
follow seventiesmusic on facebook.