Formed in 1961 and still going strong today, Golden Earring must be one of the longest performing bands in the world – in all those years they have had only one major hit, but it was a massive one – Radar Love in 1973.
golden earring fax
Golden Earring began life in 1961 in the Dutch city of The Hague when two neighbours, 13-year-old George Kooymans and 15-year-old Rinus Gerritsen got together to form The Tornados.
- By 1970 the band had added a couple of members to become the line-up that remains together today. Although, other musicians have come and gone over the years.
- Discovering that there was already a band named The Tornados, the boys changed their name to Golden Earring.
- By the late 60s, Golden Earring were quite popular in The Netherlands and had had a number of hit records and, in 1969, they embarked on their first US tour. By 1984 they had completed 13 US tours and played alongside acts such as with Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Procol Harum, and Eric Clapton. Between 1969 and 1984, Golden Earring completed 13 U.S. tours. During this period, they performed as the opening act for Santana, King Crimson, The Doobie Brothers, and Rush.
- Following the success of Radar Love, the band became stars in their own right and, at various times, had Kiss and Aerosmith as their opening act.
- Those living outside The Netherlands may not realise the popularity of Golden Earring in their homeland. They have released 25 studio albums – seven of which have reached #1 on the Dutch album chart (the last in 2012).
- Add to this 73 single releases of which 42 have made the Dutch Top Ten!
- Outside of the Netherlands, however, they will be remembered for Radar Love.
radar love fax
- Radar Love was written by Golden Earring members George Kooymans and Barry Hay and recorded by the band in 1973.
- It featured on the album Moontan.
- There were three versions of the song: a 5:07 single, a 3:44 single edit and the album version which went for 6:21.
- Radar Love, a #1 hit in the Netherlands, peaked at #13 in the US and #7 in the UK.
- The song has been covered by a number of bands including, U2, R.E.M., White Lion, Blue Man Group, Def Leppard and Carlos Santana. The White Lion version charted at #59 on the US singles chart.
- Radar Love lyrics.
radar love – golden earring – 1973
follow seventiesmusic on facebook.