- In the early 1970s, Wayne Bickerton and Tony Waddington wrote a number of songs only to have them rejected by every recording artist they sent them to. So, they did what any zealous songwriter would do; they created a band and called it, The Rubettes.
- The Rubettes had immediate success with a #1 UK hit, Sugar Baby Love. It peaked at #37 in the US. They followed that with eight more UK top 40 songs. They released ten albums, the last being in 1995, although they continue to tour (in one form or another) today.
- On stage, The Rubettes are known for their trademark white suits and cloth caps.
- By the early-2000s, the band had fractured in a number of ways so that there were two bands touring as The Rubettes. A court case followed over the rightful ownership of the name (just as it had for The Beach Boys and Spandau Ballet).
- On 21 September 2014, as part of the Rubettes 40th anniversary, original members, Alan Williams, John Richardson and Mick Clarke returned to the Olympia in Paris, the venue of The Rubettes’ first appearance in France in 1974 when Sugar Baby Love topped the French and European charts
sugar baby love fax
- Sugar Baby Love was written by UK songwriters Wayne Bickerton and Tony Waddington.
- It was recorded by The Rubettes in late 1973 and released in January 1974. It went on to spend four weeks at #1 on the UK charts and peaked at #37 on the US charts.
- Sugar Baby Love was The Rubettes debut and most successful single.
- The song was originally written for the Eurovision song contest but Showaddywaddy, the band it was offered to, turned it down. Wayne and Tony then suggested the demo band release it themselves, on the condition they formed a real band.
- Sugar Baby Love had something of a resurgence when it was featured in the 1994 movie, Muriel’s Wedding.
- Sugar Baby Love lyrics.
sugar baby love – the rubettes – 1974 – video
follow seventiesmusic on facebook.