blast from the past
I was brushing my teeth! The song started up and I remembered it immediately… Graham Bonnet’s 1977 version of Bob Dylan’s, It’s All Over Now, Baby Blue, with that awesome guitar solo and wonderful lead vocal – I love this song and this version.
here, there and everywhere
Graham Bonnet has had an amazing careeer. He’s performed as a solo artist, in a duet, and as a member of several hard rock and heavy metal bands including Rainbow.
His first efforts were with the 60s one-hit-wonder duet, The Marbles. Joining his cousin Trevor Gordon, they had a #5 UK hit with the Barry, Robin and Maurice Gibb penned, Only One Woman.
When the Marbles split in 1969 Graham started on a lengthy solo career. Then, from 1978 to 1980 he was the lead singer with Ritchie Blackmore’s Rainbow.
bless ya bobby
It was with Bob Dylan’s song, It’s All Over Now, Baby Blue that Graham had his biggest hit. Prior to that, having disbanded The Marbles, he’d been writing advertising jingles.
He followed Baby Blue with another Bee Gees written song, Warm Ride, a song they had left over from the Saturday Night Fever project.
still going strong
And, would you believe it, Graham Bonnet, now living in Los Angeles, is still performing, 45 years after he formed his first band.
it’s all over now, baby blue fax
- It’s All Over Now, Baby Blue was written by Bob Dylan in 1965. It featured on his Bringing It All Back Home album. At the time there was much discussion about just who Baby Blue was. Dylan’s never divulged the identity, maybe it’s all just made up?!
- In a 2005 poll Mojo magazine readers rated It’s All Over Now, Baby Blue at #10 on the list of all-time best Bob Dylan songs
- It’s All Over Now, Baby Blue has been covered by many artists including; Joan Baez, Van Morrison and Them, The Byrds, The Animals, Judy Collins, Joni Mitchell, Marianne Faithfull, Bryan Ferry, Manfred Mann’s Earth Band, Echo & the Bunnymen, Hole, and The Grateful Dead.
- Graham’s version was released in 1977 and made the top 40 in many countries. It did best in Australia where it peaked at #5.
- Graham’s version of It’s All Over Now, Baby Blue appears on the soundtrack of the 2009 Peter Jackson film The Lovely Bones.
- It’s All Over Now, Baby Blue lyrics.
it’s all over now, baby blue – Graham Bonnet – 1977 – video