Yes, I know 1967 is a few years before the 70s, but today I listened to Bobbie Gentry’s first album, Ode to Billie Joe – I’d forgotten how wonderful it is, and how great this song is; Mississippi Delta.
bobbie gentry fax
- Born in Chickasaw County, Mississippi, Roberta Lee Streeter began writing songs when her grandmother traded one of the family’s milk cows for a piano. Bobbie was seven years old; her first song was My Dog Sergeant is a Good Dog.
- Bobbie was only a young teenager when she began performing and chose he stage name from the 1952 movie, Ruby Gentry, the story of a young woman born into poverty who is determined to break free and make something of her life.
- In 1967, Kelly Gordon, a Capitol Records executive heard a demo she’d recorded. The demo was Mississippi Delta and Ode to Billie Joe. Capitol Records intended to release this as a single with Mississippi Delta on the A-side. Eventually, the sides were reversed and Ode to Billie Joe was released, it hit #1 in the USA and #13 in the UK.
- Bobbie’s first album, also titled, Ode to Billie Joe, was written entirely by Bobbie (with the exception of one song) and went straight to #1 in the US. On the strength of the album, Bobbie earned four 1968 Grammy Awards, including, Best New Artist, and Best Female Pop Vocal Performance.
- Bobbie released three studio albums in 1968 and three more before her last in 1971.
- Bobbie was one of the first female artists to compose and produce her own material – although she was often not credited as producer; her record company feeling that the world wasn’t quite ready for a female record producer.
- In all, Bobbie charted eleven singles on the US single chart and four on the UK singles chart. She lost interest in performing in the late 1970s and stopped performing entirely in 1981.
- Bobbie was once married to singer, Jim Stafford.
mississippi delta fax
- Mississippi Delta was written by Bobbie Gentry and appeared on her first album, the #1 album, Ode to Billie Joe.
- Mississippi was realised as a single in Japan but failed to chart.
- Many country blues fans consider it a classic because of Bobbie’s superb vocals.
- Mississippi Delta lyrics.
mississippi delta – bobbie gentry – 1967 – video
Sometimes the YouTube links dropout – if this link doesn’t work, please go to YouTube and search for the song – it will be worth it!
follow seventiesmusic on facebook.