gerry and the pacemakers fax
- Gerry and the Pacemakers formed in 1959 under the name, Gerry Marsden and the Mars Bars – a name they were forced to change after a complaint from the Mars company.
- The band’s initial line-up was Gerry Marsden, his brother Fred Marsden, Les Chadwick, and Arthur McMahon.
- Gerry and the Pacemakers had a lot in common with The Beatles: they came from Liverpool, they were managed by Brian Epstein, and were recorded by George Martin.
- They were the first act to achieve #1 on the UK Singles Chart with their first three single releases: How Do You Do It?, I Like It, and You’ll Never Walk Alone. It was 20 years later that fellow Liverpool band, Frankie Goes to Hollywood, equalled that record. Amazingly, despite a number of subsequent hits, Gerry and the Pacemakers never had another #1 UK single.
- By 1966, the band’s popularity was waning and they split. Gerry became a popular cabaret and children’s TV entertainer.
- The band reformed 1974 and, until recently, still toured. The band’s last show was in Wales on 15 March 2017 when Gerry Marsden collapsed onstage. As he was helped offstage he explained to the audience that he was scheduled to undergo knee surgery the next week.
don’t let the sun catch you crying fax
- Don’t Let the Sun Catch you Crying was written by the members of Gerry and the Pacemakers, recorded in 1964, and released in April 1964 in the UK and May 1964 in the US. That first release peaked at #6 in the UK and #4 in the US – it was the band’s highest charting US single.
- The song was first recorded by Louise Cordet, a singer who had previously toured with both Gerry and the Pacemakers and The Beatles.
- Gerry and the Pacemakers’ version was produced by George Martin
- Don’t Let the Sun Catch you Crying was re-released in April 1970; this time it didn’t bother the charts on either side of the Atlantic.
- Artists to cover the song include: José Feliciano (1968), Rickie Lee Jones (1989), Gloria Estefan (1994), and Jeff Buckley.
- Don’t Let the Sun Catch you Crying lyrics.
don’t let the sun catch you crying – gerry and the pacemakers – 1964 and 1970 – video
Sometimes the YouTube links dropout – if this link doesn’t work, please go to YouTube and search for the song – it will be worth it!
follow seventiesmusic on facebook.