The first charting song from a band who have been around for over 45 years and are still touring; Lights, the 1978 single by supergroup, Journey.
- When remnants of Santana 60s band Frumious Bandersnatch came together in San Francisco in 1973, Journey was born.
- Taking a while to get going, Journey hit their stride between 1978 and 1987 when their popularity peaked – their 1981 hit single Don’t Stop Believin’ is the top-selling track in iTunes history among songs not released in the 21st century.
- While the lead singers may have changed over the years, the band continues to tour and record today.
- Original band members were: Neal Schon (lead guitar), Gregg Rolie (keyboards and lead vocalist), Ross Valory (bass guitar), George Tickner (rhythm guitar) and Prairie Price (drims). Neal and Ross are still in the band.
- The band’s peak popularity coincided with the fabulous Steve Perry on lead vocals. It is often mentioned that Randy Jackson was a member of Journey – while that is true, Randy was only in the band for less than two years (1986 – 1987).
- Journey have achieved massive record sales; two gold albums, eight multi-platinum albums, and two diamond albums (including seven consecutive multi-platinum albums between 1978 and 1987). Added to this are, 18 Top 40 singles in the US; the second most without a achieving a #1 single (behind Electric Light Orchestra with 20). This includes six Top 10 singles.
- Journey has sold 48 million albums in the USA. That makes them the 25th highest-selling band in the US. Worldwide they have sold around 90 million records. That makes them one of the world’s best-selling bands of all time.
- In 2017, Journey was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Inductees included lead singer Steve Perry, guitarist Neal Schon, keyboardists Jonathan Cain and Gregg Rolie, bassist Ross Valory, and drummers Aynsley Dunbar and Steve Smith.
- Lights was written by Steve Perry and Neal Schon and released in 1978 on Journey’s fourth album, Infinity
- Lights peaked at #68 on the US charts. Other singles from the Infinity album were, Wheel in the Sky (Journey’s first single to make the US charts – peaking at #57) and Anytime (peaking at #83).
- Lights is about San Francisco, but it didn’t’ start out that way. Steve Perry once said:
I had the song written in Los Angeles almost completely except for the bridge and it was written about Los Angeles. It was ‘when the lights go down in the city and the sun shines on LA.’ I didn’t like the way it sounded at the time. And so I just had it sitting back in the corner. Then life changed my plans once again, and I was now facing joining Journey. I love San Francisco, the bay, and the whole thing. ‘The bay’ fit so nice, ‘When the lights go down in the city and the sun shines on the bay.’ It was one of those early-morning-going-across-the-bridge things, when the sun was coming up and the lights were going down. It was perfect.
- Lights is often played at Levi’s Stadium when the NFL team, the San Francisco 49ers win a home game.
- Lights lyrics.
lights – journey – 1978 – video
follow seventiesmusic on facebook.