Before ABBA, the sound of Europop was Middle of the Road with million disc selling songs like Sacramento, Tweedle Dee, Tweedle Dum, Soley Soley, and their biggest hit, 1971’s, Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep – which all just goes to prove; the 70s produced some rather bizarre hit records!
middle of the road fax
- From Glasgow, Scotland, Middle of the Road were popular throughout Europe and Latin America in the early 1970s. Before ABBA appeared on the charts, Middle of the Road were considered the leading sound of Europop scene.
- The band had an interesting history – lead singer Sally Carr, drummer Ken Andrew, guitarist Ian McCredie and his bassist brother Eric McCredie, originally played as Part Four, before adopting a Latin American flavour and winning the UK TV talent show Opportunity Knocks under the name, Los Caracas.
- Within a year of forming, and having found little success, the band moved to Italy where they met an Italian music producer – Giacomo Tosti, who gave the band their distinctive sound and gave them their international break.
- Middle of the Road’s biggest hit single was their debut UK single, Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep. Reaching #1 in the UK singles chart, it sold over ten million copies! Over the next two years, another five hit singles followed, including four million sellers.
- But that was nothing compared to their success in Germany where Middle of the Road had eleven Top 40 hits between 1971 and 1974.
- In 1974, Bay City Rollers member Neil Henderson joined the band on guitar.
chirpy chirpy cheep cheep fax
- Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep was written by Lally Scott, who wrote several songs for the Scottish band, Middle of the Road.
- Middle of the Road recorded Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep in 1971, and released it the same year as the title track of their debut album.
- Probably unheard of in the US, Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep hit #1 in the UK where it sat for four weeks.
- Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep is one of only around forty singles to have ever sold in excess of 10 million physical copies worldwide.
- Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep lyrics.
chirpy chirpy cheep cheep – middle of the road – 1971 – video
follow seventiesmusic on facebook.