I can’t believe we haven’t visited this tune before now… from the One Hit Wonder files, Stealers Wheel’s fabulous 1973 hit, Stuck in the Middle with You.
stealers wheel fax
- Stealers Wheel was formed by school mates Gerry Rafferty and Joe Egan in Scotland back in 1972.
- Having released three albums and five singles, the band broke up in 1975. They reformed in 2008 without Gerry or Joe who had long since gone onto finer things.
- Gerry’s musical career is well-known and includes the wonderful Baker Street (cue for saxophone solo). In 2011, Gerry died of liver failure having thrashed it over the years – his alcoholism has been widely documented. Gerry’s first band, before Stealers Wheel, was the Humblebums which included comedian Billy Connolly. Billy and Gerry were close friends right until Gerry’s death.
- Stealers Wheel’s self-titled first album was released in 1972. It was produced by Leiber and Stroller and reached #50 on the US album charts. Their hit Stuck in the Middle with You was lifted from this album. By the time of release, Gerry had already left the band.
stuck in the middle with you fax
- Stuck in the Middle with You was written by Gerry Rafferty and Joe Egan, recorded by their band Stealers Wheel, and released as a single on 27 April 1973. It was produced by renowned American producers, Leiber and Stroller.
- The song peaked at #6 on the US singles chart and #8 on the UK chart. It sold over one million copies.
- Stuck in the Middle with You is famously used in Quentin Tarantino’s 1992 debut film Reservoir Dogs. Quentin once said of the song:
That was one of those things where I thought [the song] would work really well, and [during] auditions, I told the actors that I wanted them to do the torture scene, and I’m gonna use ‘Stuck in the Middle with You,’ but they could pick anything they wanted, they didn’t have to use that song. And a couple people picked another one, but almost everyone came in with ‘Stuck in the Middle with You,’ and they were saying that they tried to come up with something else, but that’s the one. The first time somebody actually did the torture scene to that song, the guy didn’t even have a great audition, but it was like watching the movie. I was thinking, ‘Oh my God, this is gonna be awesome!’
- Notable cover versions include: Leif Garrett (remember him!?), and then, in 2001, a dance version made the UK Top 10 for Louise.
- Stuck in the Middle with You lyrics.
stuck in the middle with you – stealers wheel – 1973 – video
follow seventiesmusic on facebook.