A couple of Brits and an American walk into a band and form, Foreigner; a band who go on to have multiple hit records including 1977’s, Cold As Ice. And, the next minute… it’s in an NFL Super Bowl advertisement!
- Foreigner formed in New York back in 1976. Original members were Englishmen, Mick Jones (not to be confused with The Clash guitarist) and Ian McDonald (ex-King Crimson) and American vocalist, Lou Gramm, another Englishman, Dennis Elliott, and a couple more Americans, Al Greenwood and Ed Gagliardi. That’s quite a line-up – within a year they had a #4 US hit with Feels Like the First Time. A couple of decades later, they are still going strong (with a few line-up changes) and have become one of the world’s best-selling bands with over 80 million records sold worldwide.
- Included in their successes is the huge hit I Want to Know What Love Is, which reach the top of both the US and UK charts. Add to that, Cold As Ice (1977), Hot Blooded (1978), Double Vision (1978), Urgent (1981), and Waiting for a Girl Like You ((1981), and you got the potential for a pretty strong Greatest Hits album!
- Foreigner have released ten studio albums and 47 singles. The singles release in recent years have failed to achieve great chart success and one would have to conclude, the band’s heyday was in the 70s and 80s. Having said that, Foreigner continue to tour and play to large and adoring audiences.
cold as ice fax
- Cold as Ice was a 1977 hit for British-American band Foreigner. It was lifted from their eponymous debut album.
- Written by Foreigner members, Mick Jones and Lou Gramm, Cold as Ice was originally the B-side of some versions of the single, Feels Like the First Time.
- Cold As Ice peaked at #6 on the US singles chart and #24 on the UK singles chart.
- Kanye West sampled Cold As Ice as part of the intro for his song Cold at Glastonbury 2015.
- A cover version of Cold As Ice was used in a Wendy’s advertisement commercial during the 2017 NFL Super Bowl.
- Cold As Ice lyrics.
cold as ice – foreigner – 1977 – video
follow seventiesmusic on facebook.