Last Saturday I had the pleasure of enjoying two and a half hours with the incomparable James Taylor. As an encore he sang the Eddie Floyd, Steve Cropper song, Knock On Wood – a song that has been covered by many artists in a number of genres, including Amii Stewart who has a disco hit with it in 1979.
amii stewart fax
- Amy Stewart was only four years old when her father signed her up for singing and dancing lessons. Because there was already Amy Stewart registered with Actor’s Equity, he changed the spelling of her name to Amii.
- Amii began her show business life as a dancer – she even studied ballet and modern dance. It was while touring with the stage production Bubbling Brown Sugar in 1975, that she met Barry Leng, a record producer who signed her for Hansa records.
- Knock On Wood was her first single and it went straight to #1 in the US and #6 in the UK – she even earned a Grammy nomination for it. Her second single was a medley that included The Doors‘ Light My Fire. That peaked at #5 in the UK but stalled at #69 in the US.
- Amii now lives in Italy. She still performs but, more often it is in a stage show rather than a disco. In 2000, she toured as part of Jesus Christ Superstar, playing the part of Mary Magdalene. Then, in 2003, she starred in the musical Lady Day, in the role of Billie Holiday; the musical was written and produced by her.
- Amii released 17 albums, the last in 2012.
knock on wood fax
- Written by Eddie Floyd and Steve Cropper in 1966, Knock on Wood was originally performed by Eddie. His version peaked at #28 on the US singles chart and spent a week at #1 on the US soul chart
- The song has been covered by artists as diverse as Otis Redding and Carla Thomas in 1967, Wilson Pickett, The American Breed, David Bowie (1974), Amii Stewart (1979), Eric Clapton (1985), Michael Bolton (1992) and James Taylor (last Saturday night).
- David Bowie’s single is lifted from his 1974 David Live album.
- Amii Stewart’s version of the song is the most successful. It was Amii’s debut single from her album of the same name. Recorded late-1978, it was realeased in January 1979 and reached #1 on the US charts and #6 in the UK. A remixed version was released in the UK in 1985, peaking at #7.
- Knock On Wood lyrics.
knock on wood – amii stewart – 1979 – video
knock on wood – eddie floyd – 1967 – original version
follow seventiesmusic on facebook.