This song was on one of the first records I ever bought, 46 years ago!! I’d all but forgotten about it until I went to the record launch of a local muso the other day and discovered one of the backing guitarists was none other than Juicy Lucy guitarist, the amazing Glenn Ross-Campbell. So, here is Juicy Lucy’s 1970 hit, Who Do You Love?
juicy lucy fax
- Juicy Lucy was formed by vocalist Ray Owen, steel guitarist Glenn Ross Campbell, and saxophonist Chris Mercer, after the breakup of The Misunderstood, way back in 1969.
- The name, Juicy Lucy was purloined from the name of a character in Leslie Thomas’, The Virgin Soldiers.
- The band continues to perform to this day – their latest album being released in 2006. The line-up, however, has changed a great deal. In all, over 23 individuals can lay claim to have been members of Juicy Lucy at one time or another.
- The band’s latest incarnation toured with Nazareth in 2007 and played the Cambridge Rock Festival that year.
Glenn Ross Campbell left the band in 1972 and subsequently played with a number of well-known artists including being a member of Joe Cocker’s backing band. Prior to this he had played with Jimi Hendrix! In 2004, Rolling Stone Magazine described his work with The Misunderstood as,
Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page rolled into one.
who do you love? fax
- Bo Diddley wrote and recorded Who Do You Love? in 1956. It became an integral part of his repertoire and has been subsequently covered by numerous musicians.
- Who Do You Love? was recorded by Juicy Lucy in 1970 and released as their first single – it peaked at #14 on the UK singles chart.
- Who Do You Love? has been covered by many artists inclucing, Ronnie Hawkins and The Hawks (featured in The Band’s movie, The Last Waltz), Quicksilver Messenger Service, Brownsville Station, The Doors, John Hammond Jr., Michael Nesmith (as Michael Blessing), Carlos Santana, Townes Van Zandt, George Thoroughgood and The Destroyers, Johnny Winter, and The Jesus and Mary Chain.
- In 2004, Rolling Stone magazine ranked Bo Diddley’s version #133 on their list of the 500 Greatest Songs of All Time. In 2010, the song was awarded a Grammy Hall of Fame Award.
- Who Do You Love? lyrics.
who do you love? – juicy lucy – 1970
follow seventiesmusic on facebook.