- Argent were founded in 1969 in England by keyboardist Rod Argent, formerly of The Zombies.
- Other members included: Jim Rodford who also played with The Kinks and The Swinging Blue Jeans; Bob Henrit and Russ Ballard, both members of The Roulettes; Bob was also in The Kinks.
- Argent’s biggest hit (their only one to reach the charts) was 1972’s, Hold Your Head Up.
- Argent recorded the original version of God Gave Rock and Roll to You. It was written by Russ Ballard and later a hit for Kiss.
- Between 1969 and 1976 Argent released seven albums before disbanding. The original lineup reunited in 2010 for a short UK tour.
- Hold Your Head Up was written by Rod Argent and Chris White. It appeared Argent’s third album, All Together Now.
- Hold Your Head Up was Argent’s only single to chart; it peaked at #5 in both the US and the UK.
- There were three versions of the song: the 6:15 long album version, the single version of 3:15, and the DJ edit which runs for 2:53.
- Rick Wakeman cited the Hammond B3 solo as the greatest organ solo ever.
- Covers include versions by, Steppenwolf, Uriah Heap and The Zombies.
- Hold Your Head Up lyrics.
hold your head up – argent – 1972
follow seventiesmusic on facebook.