Now, here’s a song that may have slipped from your memory bank! From the man who gave us, Under the Scotsman’s Kilt and Your Bulldog Drinks Champagne, comes Spiders and Snakes – a big hit for Jim Stafford back in 1973/4.
- Jim Stafford is an American comedian, musician, and singer-songwriter best known for his light-hearted 1970s recordings many of which became hits.
- Jim released two albums in the early 70s and a third in 1993. He has since released a couple of classical guitar albums.
- The 70s albums produced the hits, Spiders and Snakes, I Got Stoned and I Missed It, My Girl Bill and Wildwood Weed.
- During college years, Jim played in a band with Gram Parsons and Kent LaVoie (better known to 70s music fans as Lobo).
- Jim’s biggest hit was Spiders & Snakes in 1973.
- Jim wrote tunes for a number of movies including Clint Eastwood’s Any Which Way You Can which he also appeared in.
- In 1975 Jim had his own variety show on television – it lasted for six weeks and was quite popular.
- Jim was married briefly to Bobbie Gentry with whom he has a son.
- In 1990, Jim opened his own theatre in Branson, Missouri where he continues to play most nights…
- Released in November 1973, Spiders & Snakes is a hit song recorded by Jim Stafford.
- Spiders and Snakes was written by Jim and David Bellamy.
- Spiders and Snakes hit the US singles charts in 1974 and peaked at #3.
- Selling over a million copies, it sat on the US charts for almost six months.
- Conway Twitty covered Spiders and Snakes substuting the name Loretta Lynn for the name of the girl (Mary Lou).
- Jim and Dolly Parton sometimes performed Spiders and Snakes together (video below).
- Spiders and Snakes lyrics.
spiders and snakes – jim stafford – 1973 – video
spiders and snakes – jim stafford and dolly parton
follow seventiesmusic on facebook.