- Formed in 1964 as the Jazziacs, Kool and the Gang continue to perform today.
- In the past 51 years Kool and the Gang have morphed several times; from jazz, to funk and R&B, to electro-pop.
- The changes have worked, the band has sold over 70 million albums.
- The band formed around the musical talents of brothers Robert “Kool” Bell and Ronald Bell, often known by their Arabic names, Muhammad Bayyan and Khalis Bayyan.
- Robert’s godfather was Thelonious Monk.
- Kool and the Gang’s hits included; Jungle Boogie, Hollywood Swinging and Get Down on It.
- Celebration was written by the members of Kool and the Gang and recorded in 1979. It was released as a single in October 1980.
- Celebration is Kool and the Gang’s only #1 US singles hit. It reached the top of the US charts on February 7, 1981. It peaked at #7 on the UK charts on November 29, 1980.
- Celebration was covered by Kylie Minogue in 1992 – her version peaked at #20 on the UK singles chart. It was also covered in 1987 by New Zealand band Dragon.
- Celebration lyrics – Kool and the Gang.
celebration – kool and the gang – 1980
follow seventiesmusic on facebook.