- Thin Lizzy formed in Dublin, Ireland, in 1969.
- Bassist/vocalist Phil Lynott and drummer Brian Downey met in school, formed the band, and played together for the next 16 years until Phil’s death in 1986.
- Phil was the undisputed frontman for the band, composer or co-composer of most their hit songs which featured on twelve albums.
- Since Phil died the band has had a couple of breaks and a re-emerged via a couple of reincarnations – the latest comes together on occasion for live gigs. However, a decision was made not to record any new material as Thin Lizzy. Hence, a new band, Black Star Riders, was formed to tour and produce new releases such as the All Hell Breaks Loose album.
whiskey in the jar fax
- Whiskey in the Jar, telling the story of a highwayman who is betrayed by his lover, is a traditional Irish folk song thought to have originated from the 17th Century.
- Whiskey in the Jar gained international exposure when Irish folk band The Dubliners began to perform it in the mid-1960s.
- In 1972, Thin Lizzy recorded the song; it was released in an effort to promote the band. Thin Lizzy was touring the UK with Slade and Suzi Quatro. Thin Lizzy’s record company decided to release the song which angered the band. They didn’t feel it represented their sound or image.
- Thin Lizzy’s version reached #6 on the UK chart.
- American band Metallica recorded their version – very similar to Thin Lizzy’s – in 1998. It won them a Grammy in 2000 for Best Hard Rock Performance.
- Whiskey in the Jar lyrics.
whiskey in the jar – thin lizzy – 1972 – video
follow seventiesmusic on facebook.