- Johnny Nash was only 18 years old when his first album – self-titled – was released. Stardom came quickly; over the next six years he released four albums and 16 singles and had something of an acting career.
- In 1965, Johnny joined with Danny Sims to form their own label – JODA Records. One of their first signings was The Cowsills – four brothers from Rhode Island.
- In early 1968, Johnny travelled to Jamaica and met a struggling local band, Bob Marley & The Wailing Wailers. Johnny produced a number of songs for them but none were successful.
- Throughout the 70s Johnny released a string of reggae styled singles, many of them recorded in Kingston, Jamaica.
- Johnny’s first top ten US hit was Hold Me Tight, which peaked at #5 in 1968. In 1972 he made it to #12 with the Bob Marley song, Stir It Up (later to become a hit for Bob). Then came his biggest US hit; 1972’s I Can See Clearly Now which made it to #1.
- Johnny’s biggest UK hit was Tears On My Pillow which made it all the way to #1 in 1975.
- Johnny is in his 70s now but still performs. His last hit was Rock Me Baby in 1986.
i can see clearly now fax
- I Can See Clearly Now was written and recorded by Johnny Nash.
- The title track of Johnny’s eleventh album, it was released in July 1972 and rose to #1 in the US and #5 in the UK.
- I Can See Clearly Now is one of the most covered tracks in music. Artists to have recorded it include: Anne Murray, Bobby Goldsboro, Dobie Gray, Donny Osmond, Dusty Springfield, Eagle-Eye Cherry, Gladys Knight & the Pips, Hothouse Flowers, James Last, Liza Minnelli, Neil Finn, Petula Clark, Procol Harum (in concert), Ray Charles, Richie Havens, Sonny and Cher, The Mamas & the Papas, Toots & the Maytals, and Willie Nelson.
- It was also covered by Jimmy Cliff whose version was included in the movie, Cool Runnings, and reached #18 on the US singles chart.
- I Can See Clearly Now has featured in a number of movies, including: The song also appears in various other films, such as Grosse Pointe Blank, The Break-up, Thelma & Louise, Antz, Hitch, Shrek 2, and Up in Smoke.
- I Can See Clearly Now lyrics.
i can see clearly now – johnny nash – 1972 – video
follow seventiesmusic on facebook.