- From the US, Heart’s initial success was in Canada – it took some time before their compatriots caught the Heart bug.
- Founded in 1974 and still performing today, the band has gone through a number of line-ups but at the heart (‘cuse the pun) of each morph has been the Wilson sisters, Ann as lead singer and Nancy on guitar.
- Heart has sold over 35 million records worldwide, 22.5 million of those in the US. They have had Top 10 albums on the US charts in the 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, and 2010s.
- Heart ranked #57 on VH1’s 100 Greatest Artists of Hard Rock.
- They were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2013.
- Barracuda was recorded by Heart in 1977 for their second album, Little Queen.
- Barracuda was Heart’s second Top 20 US single – it peaked at #11.
- In 2009, VH1 named Barracuda the 34th best hard rock song of all time.
- The meaning of Barracuda has been often written about; Ann Wilson says it tells of Heart’s anger towards a publicity stunt instigated by Mushroom Records. They created a rumour that Ann and her sister, Nancy, were involved in an incestuous affair. The song focuses on Ann’s anger when a man came up to her after a concert and asked how her lover was. It took Ann a while to realise he was talking about her sister. Ann went back to her hotel room to write the original lyrics of the song.
- Barracuda was covered by Fergie for the soundtrack Shrek the Third (2007) and is on her album The Dutchess. It was also covered by Alice in Chains and Gretchen Wilson in 2007, and appeared in the television show, Glee, sung byLea Michele and Adam Lambert.
- Barracuda lyrics.
barracuda – heart – 1977
follow seventiesmusic on facebook.