- George began playing at age 6. He was performing in a local nightclub by age eight. And by ten years old, he’d released his first record. By age 21 George was an accomplished jazz guitarist. Fifty years later, he’s still going strong.
- On the way, he’s won ten Grammy Awards and has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
- George’s breakthrough album, Breezin’, was released in 1976 and was certified triple-platinum on the Billboard 200 chart.
this masquerade fax
- This Masquerade was written by Leon Russell – it first appeared on the B-side of Leon’s 1972 single Tight Rope.
- George Benson included it on his iconic (I reckon anyway!) 1976 album (his debut album with Warner Bros), Breezin’.
- George’s version peaked at #10 on the US singles chart and #3 on the US soul charts.
- In 1977, George won the Grammy for Record of the Year with This Masquerade (it had been nominated in two other categories).
- This Masquerade has been covered by a number of artists including: Helen Reddy (1972), The Carpenters (1973), Shirley Bassey (1982), Willie Nelson, Sérgio Mendes & Brasil ’77, and Kenny Rogers.
- Leon Russell’s version appears in at least two movies; The Exorcist and The Pursuit of Happyness.
- This Masquerade lyrics.
this masquerade – george benson – 1976 – video
follow seventiesmusic on facebook.