Since his first #1 single (It’s Not Unusual) back in 1965, Tom Jones has clambered all over the UK Top 40 Singles Chart 36 times, and the US Top 40 Singles Chart 19 times. One of his most popular singles, She’s a Lady, was released in 1971.
- What can be said about Sir Thomas Jones Woodward? Welsh singer Tom Jones has been performing since the mid-60s and, as we all know, is still going strong today.
- Tom has had 36 Top 40 UK singles and 19 Top 40 US singles.
- Tom won the 1966 Best New Artist Grammy – since then, too many awards to list.
- Despite many well publicised affairs, Tom has been married to the same woman, Melinda, since 1957.
- She’s a Lady was written by Canadian singer/songwriter, Paul Anka.
- Recorded by Tom Jones in 1971, his version went on to sell over one million copies.
- She’s a Lady went on to become Tom’s highest charting US single to date hitting #2 in the US and #13 in the UK – he has had three #1’s in the UK and 20 Top 10 UK hits.
- The She’s a Lady version sung by Tom is not the original – the lyrics of that version were too explicit for commercial release (even for Tom!) and so Tom and Paul rewrote them.
- The B-side of Tom’s version track was My Way whose lyrics were also written by Paul Anka.
- Paul Anka released She’s a Lady on his 1970 album, Paul Anka ’70s.
- Paul and Tom recorded a duet on the song in 2013. It was released on Paul’s album, Duets.
- Ali Campbell (ex UB 40) and Shaggy released a cover version of She’s a Lady in 2009, on the album Flying High.
- She’s a Lady has featured in at least six television programmes and twelve movies including: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Bend it Like Beckham, and Miss Congeniality.
- She’s a Lady lyrics.
she’s a lady – tom jones – 1971 – video
follow seventiesmusic on facebook.