- Firefall hit the ground running with quite a rock ‘n’ roll pedigree. Rick Roberts had been a member of the Flying Barrito Brothers and guitarist with Stephen Stills’ band, while Jock Bartley, formerly a backing singer for Gram Parsons, had been in the band Zephyr where he replaced Tommy Bolin who had left to join The James Gang and then Deep Purple.
- That was in Boulder, Colorado back in 1974. Within their first month, Firefall had recorded an album and were on the road touring. They played support for such artists as: Leon Russell, The Doobie Brothers, Tom Waits, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Roy Buchanan, Electric Light Orchestra, The Band, Willie Nelson, and Jerry Jeff Walker.
- From that first album came two singles. One of them – You Are The Woman – was destined to become their highest charting single.
- Since those early days, the band has undergone a number of personnel changes but are still touring with Jock Bartley and Mark Andes (bassist for Canned Heat, Heart etc.) heading the line-up.
- On January 9, 2015, Firefall was inducted into the Colorado Music Hall of Fame alongside Poco, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band and Stephen Stills and Manassas.
you are the woman fax
- You Are the Woman is from Firefall’s self-titled debut album.
- Written by band member, Rick Roberts, You Are The Woman peaked at #9 on the US singles chart. It was Firefall’s highest charting hit.
- When asked about the song’s popularity, Rick would often reply:
Every female between the ages of 18 and 24 wanted to be the woman portrayed in the song, and that caused their boyfriends and spouses to call radio stations and subsequently flood the airwaves with dedications of the song and the sentiment. The message was simple and sincere, and the song was easy to sing. It was like our fans let us be a singing version of the Hallmark card that said what they weren’t quite sure what to express.
- Several years later he said of the song:
Everybody knows ‘You Are The Woman’. It ended up kind of being a hindrance because people would only hear ‘You Are The Woman’ and would think, oh, that light Rock band from Colorado. We’re actually a pretty smokin’ Rock band that really has fun onstage and cooks and jams and plays ‘You Are The Woman’ also.
- A cover of You Are The Woman, by Josh Kelley appeared on the 2005 soundtrack of, Herbie: Fully Loaded.
- You Are The Woman lyrics.
you are the woman – firefall – video
follow seventiesmusic on facebook.