- M = English musician Robin Scott.
- A one hit wonder, M released four albums and ten singles but only one single, Pop Muzik, made any impression on the charts.
- A number of musicians were involved in M, most notably Level 42’s, Mark King, and Phil Gould.
- By 1984, M were no more, however, Robin went on to produce and EP of African artists. He then released an album of his own, Robin Scott & Shikisha, which was recorded in Kenya and featured musicians from various African nations.
- A resurgence of interest in M and Pop Muzik followed U2’s use of the Steve Osborne remix to open their PopMart tour.
pop muzik fax
- Written by Robin Scott, Pop Muzik was released in the UK and US in March and July 1979 respectively.
- Pop Muzik peaked at #2 on the UK singles chart—it was kept from #1 by Art Garfunkel’s Bright Eyes—but it went all the way to #1 in the US.
- Robin said of Pop Muzik:
I was looking to make a fusion of various styles which somehow would summarise the last 25 years of pop music. It was a deliberate point I was trying to make. Whereas rock and roll had created a generation gap, disco was bringing people together on an enormous scale. That’s why I really wanted to make a simple, bland statement, which was, ‘All we’re talking about basically (is) pop music.
- The baby on Pop Muzik’s single disc pictures Robin’s daughter Berenice. She is now a singer and piano/keyboard player and composer in her own right.
- Pop Muzik lyrics.
pop muzik – M – 1979 – video
follow seventiesmusic on facebook.