Like so many hard rock acts, Nazareth had a number of hits but their one big hit was a song that was quite uncharacteristic of their typical musical fare. Love Hurts, a cover of an Everly Brothers song, earned them a gold record in 1975.
- Nazareth formed in Scotland in 1968.
- Fans of The Band, Nazareth took their name from the town mentioned in the first line of The Weight.
- Nazareth’s break came with the release of their 1975 album, Hair of a Dog. Although it failed to chart in the UK, it went platinum in the US and contained their greatest hit single, Love Hurts.
- Nazareth continues to record and tour, though the line-up has changed over the years and only the bassist, Peter Agnew, remains from the founding members. Having said that, lead vocalist, Dan McCafferty, only left the band in late 2013, due to ill health.
- In all, Nazareth has released 23 studio albums. The latest, 2014’s, Rock ‘n’ Roll Telephone.
love hurts fax
- Love Hurts was composed by Boudleaux Bryant and first recorded by The Everly Brothers in 1960.
- Well known cover versions have been released by Roy Orbison, Jim Capaldi, and, of course, Nazareth.
- Other cover versions have been released by: Emmylou Harris and Gram Parsons (a duet), Cher, The Who, Jennifer Warnes, Journey, Don McLean, Nicolette Larson, Joan Jett , Leo Sayer and Rod Stewart.
- Nazareth’s version is the best known version—it peaked at #1 in Canada, #8 in the US and #15 in the UK.
- The Nazareth version has featured in a number of movies, including: Dazed and Confused, Click, and Halloween.
- It must be one of the most used songs in advertising. It’s featured in advertisements for: Gatorade Southwest Airlines, Nissan and, in my part of the world, Toyota.
- Love Hurts lyrics.
love hurts – nazareth – video -1975
love hurts – the everly brothers – video – 1960
love hurts – jim capaldi – video – 1975
follow seventiesmusic on facebook.