One of the great songs from the 70s punk era is a Patti Smith/Bruce Springsteen collaboration – from 1978, Because The Night.
patti smith fax
- Patricia Lee Smith was a key figure in the New York City punk rock movement back in the mid-70s; primarily as a result of her much acclaimed 1975 debut album Horses.
- In fact, her name is so synonymous with punk that she is called, the Godmother of Punk.
- Patti was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2005.
- She is also widely regarded for her poetry and writing. In 2010, she won the National Book Award for her memoir Just Kids.
- Many artists name Patti as their greatest influence. Artists such as, Michael Stipe, Madonna and Pussy Riot.
because the night fax
- Because The Night is a collaboration between Patti Smith and Bruce Springsteen.
- It was first released in 1978, lifted off the album Easter by The Patti Smith Group.
- It had previously been recorded by Bruce as he cut tracks for Darkness on the Edge of Town. He didn’t like it so Patti recorded it instead. Bruce never released it on a studio album but still often sings it in concert.
- Because The Night peaked at #13 in the US and #5 in the UK.
- For many years it was included in NME magazine’s list of The Top 150 Singles of All Time.
- Because The Night has been covered by 10,000 Maniacs (reaching #11 on the US charts), Sonic Youth, Kim Wilde KT Tunstall and the Buena Vista Social Club, Michael Stipe (with Bruce Springsteen), U2 (with Patti and Bruce) and The Waterboys.
- Because The Night lyrics.
because the night – patti smith – 1978 – video
follow seventiesmusic on facebook.