nick gilder fax
- Born in the UK, moved to Vancouver as a kid, Nick began his musical career as the frontman for a Canadian glam-rock band named Sweeney Todd. When Nick left the band to go solo, he was replaced by Bryan Adams!
- Sweeney Todd had one #1 Canadian hit. Back in June 1976, Roxy Roller sat at the top of the charts for three weeks.
- Pretty much a one hit wonder, Nick has had a successful songwriting career writing for artists such as Joe Cocker, Bette Midler, and Pat Benatar.
- Now 62, Nick continues to sing and tour.
hot child in the city fax
- Hot Child in the City was written by Nick Gilder
- Lifted from Nick’s second solo album, City Nights, it was released in 1978.
- Hot Child in the City is about runaway young people.
- Hot Child in the City hit #1 in both the US and Canada; it barely touched the charts in the UK.
- The song sounds poppy and innocent but it’s about Nick’s experiences witnessing child prostitution.
I’ve seen a lot of young girls, 15 and 16, walking down Hollywood Boulevard with their pimps. Their home environment drove them to distraction so they ran away, only to be trapped by something even worse. It hurts to see that so I tried writing from the perspective of a lecher – in the guise of an innocent pop song.
- An episode of Sex and the City was named after and featured Hot Child in the City.
- Hot Child in the City lyrics.
hot child in the city – nick gilder – 1978 – video
roxy roller – sweeney todd – 1976 – video
follow seventiesmusic on facebook.