Not once but twice – haven’t heard Chicago for so long and then twice in one week, once on the Grammy’s singing Saturday in the Park, and then this song – Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is? – as part of the soundtrack to American Hustle.
- Chicago began life as The Chicago Transit Authority way back in 1967 and are still performing.
- The band changed their name to Chicago very soon after the release of their first album when the real Chicago Transit Authority threatened legal action.
- Amongst American bands, Chicago is second only to The Beach Boys in terms of singles and albums chart success.
- According to Billboard, Chicago was the leading US singles charting group during the 1970s. In all, they have sold over 38 million albums US alone – 22 gold, 18 platinum, and 8 multi-platinum albums.
- Chicago had five number-one albums and 21 top-ten singles; but only three #1 singles: If You Leave Me Now, Hard to Say I’m Sorry, and Look Away.
- The titles of most of the band’s albums have been chronological roman numerals.
- Jimi Hendrix once said to band member, Walter Parazaider;
Jeez, your horn players are like one set of lungs and your guitar player is better than me.
does anybody really know what time it is? fax
- Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is? was written and sung by Robert Lamm.
- It comes from Chicago’s first album, The Chicago Transit Authority, which was the band’s original name.
- Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is? was the band’s third single. The previous two – Make Me Smile and 25 or 6 to 4 – came from the band’s second album. All three singles made the US Top Ten.
- Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is? was recorded in January 1969 but not released as a single until October 1070. There have been four versions of the song, all getting progressively shorter: 4:36 (album track), 3:20 (single), 2:54 (greatest hits edit), 2:46 (promo single edit).
- The song has featured in at least two movies, Little Nicky (2000), and American Hustle (2013).
- Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is? lyrics.
does anybody really know what time it is? – the chicago transit authority – 1970 – video – short version
does anybody really know what time it is? – the chicago transit authority – 1970 – video – full version
follow seventiesmusic on facebook.