how time flies
He’s 74 now, but Gordon Lightfoot is still revered in his native Canada. Often referred to as Canada’s greatest songwriter, his career has lasted over 50 years and he’s produced more than 200 recordings.
gordon’s awards include:
- Juno Awards* for top folk singer in 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1973, 1974, 1975, 1976 and 1977.
- Juno Awards for top male vocalist in 1967, 1970, 1971, 1972 and 1973.
- 2 Juno Awards for composer of the year in 1972 and 1976.
- ASCAP awards for song-writing in 1971, 1974, 1976, and 1977.
- Five Grammy Award nominations.
- Pop record of the year in 1974 for Sundown.
- Canadian male recording artist of the decade (1970s).
- Induction into the Canadian Music Hall of Fame in 1986 and the Canadian Country Music Hall Of Fame in 2001.
- Induction into Canada’s Walk of Fame in 1998.
- He was made a Companion of the Order of Canada, the country’s highest civilian honour, in May 2003.
- In 2007, Canada Post honoured Gordon Lightfoot and three other legendary Canadian music artists (Anne Murray, Paul Anka, and Joni Mitchell) with postage stamps.
- On June 24, 2012, Gordon was inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame (at the same ceremony as Bob Seger.
*Juno Award = a Canadian Grammy Award.
the guess who connection
The Canadian band The Guess Who recorded a song called “Lightfoot” on their 1968 album Wheatfield Soul, made up of many of Gordon’s song titles.
Another of Gordon’s big hits was If You Could Read My Mind. It was said to have been written during the breakdown of his first marriage. He was involved with another woman, Cathy Smith.
Cathy Smith was a hard-core groupie of The Band. Her real fame came, however, when she was sentenced to 15 months in prison for injecting John Belushi with a fatal dose of heroin and cocaine in 1982.
- Sundown was released in March 1974. Gordon’s career had stalled after his 1971 hit song, If You Could Read My Mind. Sundown reignited his career.
- Sundown hit number one on the US singles chart.
- Sundown lyrics.
sundown – gordon lightfoot – 1974 – video
follow seventiesmusic on facebook.