and in second place…
Dionne Warwick sits just behind Aretha Franklin as the world’s most charted female vocalist. With 56 singles making the US singles chart, she has sold over 100 million albums.
Dionne’s first single and her last are linked in a strange way. Her first single, Don’t Make Me Over, was released in In November 1962. The title came from Dionne’s own mouth—she shouted these words at producers Burt Bacharach and Hal David in anger.
Dionne discovered that Make It Easy on Yourself, which she had recorded and wanted to be her first single, had been given to another singer, Jerry Butler.
From her angry words, Burt and Hal wrote Don’t Make Me Over, Dionne recorded it and it became the first Bacharach/David hit.
running in the family
It’s pretty well known that Dionne’s cousin was Whitney Houston, and her aunt is Cissy Houston, Whitney’s mother.
In March 2013, Dionne declared bankruptcy due to mismanagement of her finances. She is said to owe almost $7 million to the IRS and has over $10 million in debts.
make it easy on yourself fax
- Make It Easy On Yourself was written in 1962 by Burt Bacharach and Hal David.
- Make It Easy On Yourself has been a hit for three different artists: Jerry Butler in 1962, the Walker Brothers in 1965 (a #1 hit), and Dionne Warwick in 1970.
- Dionne’s version peaked at #37 on the US singles chart.
- Dionne’s version of Make It Easy on Yourself first appeared on her 1963 debut album Presenting Dionne Warwick.
- The version of Make It Easy on Yourself that became a hit for Dionne was a live recording from a 1970 concert in New Jersey.
- Make It Easy on Yourself has been covered by: Cilla Black, Burt Bacharach, The Carpenters, Johnny Mathis, Rick Astley, Long John Baldry, Tony Bennett, Glen Campbell, the Four Seasons, Connie Francis, the Three Degrees, Jackie Trent, Sarah Vaughan and Ronan Keating.
- Make It Easy on Yourself lyrics.
make it easy on yourself – dionne warwick – 1970
follow seventiesmusic on facebook.