still crazy after all these years
With an name inspired by TS Eliot’s poem “Mungojerrie and Rumpelteazer”, Mungo Jerry formed in 1970 and achieved their greatest success that year. They are, however, still performing. Sure the band line up has changed in the past 43 years, but frontman Ray Dorset has remains constant.
Mungo Jerry’s first public performance was at the 1970 Hollywood Festival in Newcastle. Performing alongside superstar acts such as Black Sabbath, Traffic, and The Grateful Dead, Ray and the boys stole the show. Within weeks they released their first single, In the Summertime, and within another two weeks, they had a #1 hit.
So rapid was the band’s rise to stardom that Ray had to ask his boss for time off so that he could appear on Top of the Pops.
While In the Summertime was the band’s only US hit, they made #1 in the UK twice more; first with Baby Jump and then with Lady Rose (see video below).
mungo jerry trivia
In the Summertime was the first ever maxi-single pressed. It was also known for having introduced the kazoo to our airwaves—perhaps a rather dubious claim to fame!
in the summertime fax
- In the Summertime was recorded and released in 1970.
- In the Summertime hit #1 on the singles charts in the UK, the US, Canada, Ireland, Australia, Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Italy, The Netherlands, Norway, Switzerland and South Africa.
- The song has sold over 30 million copies making it one of the highest selling singles of all time.
- Composer, Ray Dorset, claims he wrote it in under ten minutes (but then, isn’t that what Bob said about Blowin’ in the Wind?)
- In the Summertime has been used in a UK drink-driving campaign, focusing on the lyric “have a drink, have a drive, go out and see what you can find.”
- The single of In the Summertime was the world’s first maxi-single. It was 33size but played at 45rpms. It had two songs on the A-side. The second song being Mighty Man.
- In 1995, rapper Shaggy released a version of In the Summertime—it peaked at #3 in the US and #5 in the UK.
- In the Summertime lyrics.
in the summertime – mungo jerry – 1970 – video
lady rose – mungo jerry – 1971 – video
follow seventiesmusic on facebook.