americans in paris
King Harvest is one of those bands everyone has heard – thanks to Dancing in the Moonlight – but few people can remember their name.
They formed in Paris in 1970; four Americans touring the world and having a good time when they began to make music. They continued to be based mainly in Paris and London.
who mentioned orleans?
Band member Sherman Kelly wrote this song. His brother Wells was the drummer in the band. He later left and formed the band Orleans who also recorded this song.
one hit wonders?
Yep, they were really. Dancing in the Moonlight was released and went nowhere so the band split up. Then an American record company heard the song. They persuaded the guys to reform so that the single could be released in the US – the reuniting was short lived.
dancing in the moonlight trivia
Dancing in the Moonlight was played as the wake-up call for Daniel Tani, an astronaut on board the STS-120: Discovery mission. It was also used by Wal-Mart for their US TV commercials.
dancing in the moonlight fax
- Dancing in the Moonlight was written by Sherman Kelly in 1968 and recorded by his band, Boffalongo.
- King Harvest recorded the song in 1970 and released it as a single. It went nowhere on the charts and the group disbanded. Then, in 1972, they reformed, re-released the song.
- Dancing in the Moonlight peaked at #13 on the US singles chart. It was the title song of King Harvest’s 1973 album. It was the band’s only hit.
- The song failed to chart in the UK until 2000 when the band Toploader recorded it.
- Cover versions have included releases by: Orleans, Liza Minnelli, Baha Men, Toploader, and Jamiroquai.
- Dancing in the Moonlight lyrics.
dancing in the moonlight – king harvest – 1972 – video
follow seventiesmusic on facebook.